The cool breeze is finally calming down and the warmth of the bright sun is finally gracing our skin. It is officially Spring in York County and what better way to enjoy this season with the bucket list we created for you! Here are our favorite springtime activities that you need to scratch off your YoCo bucket list!
Dreamy Springtime Blooms
As the weather starts warming up new life begins to form! There are many gardens and parks that you can visit to enjoy the springtime blooms:
1. Take a walk through Glencairn Garden of Rock Hill, SC. This landscape has beautiful walking trails where you can witness the blooms of azaleas, dogwoods, wisteria, camellias, and hardwood trees.
2. Follow the nature trails of Anne Springs Close Greenway. This trail includes a huge variety of birds and over 100 species of wildflowers that stretch across the trail.
Outdoor Fun: On and Off the Land
Leave it to York County to have the best of both worlds! Grab your friends, family, or your partner for a fun day out in the sun whether it’s in the water or on land. There are many landscapes for you to choose from.
- Grab your fishing rods and bait to Kings Mountain State Park’s Lake Crawford. Here you will be offered fishing accesses by boat or bank access.
- Take a stroll along the Catawba River or grab a kayak and start paddling! The Catawba River more than 200 miles of fun for you and your friends.
- Take a trip to Camp Canaan and follow your dreams of flying! Camp Canaan offers their visitors The Canaan Zipline Canopy Tour for a thrilling experience 70 ft in the air. Glide through the air and witness the wild oak forest and beautiful views of the Catawba River
- Learn how to wakeboard at SouthTown Wake Park! You can also enjoy the water on their stand up paddleboards and kayaks or relax in lounge chairs on the lake’s shore.
Get seasick easily? No worries! Check out these landscapes for fun on land!
- Enjoy a nice walk-through River Park. These 70 acres of land give you access to 3.5 miles of wooded hiking trails, outdoor shelter, and a beautiful view of nature.
- Check out Ebenezer Park right along the shore of Lake Wylie. Get use of their recreational opportunities, such as their playgrounds, picnic shelters, boating area, and swimming area.
- Visit Historic Brattonsville’s Walt Schrader Trails. Take a stroll along their 7 miles trail of nature to relax, get some exercise, and view its distinctive plants and wildlife. While you are there, get a history lesson about the historic landmark!
Visit a Farmer's Market
Grab your wallets and head down to Old Town Famers Market or the Fort Mill Farmer's Market and shop local! Grab some fresh produce, plants, baked goods, farm-fresh produce, and a variety of handmade works by artisans in the area.
Get Festive: Check out these Spring Festivals
- Celebrate the Spring season at the Come-See-Me Festival! This 10-day celebration starting April 16th through the 24th offers events and activities for your family and friends to choose from. From sidewalk chalk to a drive-in fireworks show, the Come-See-Me Festival is loaded with frogs, live music, food, and fun! This is a festival you don’t want to miss!
- The Town of Fort Mill Strawberry Festival is back April 23rd through May 1st this year! From their annual Strawberry Pageant and golf tournament to new additions such as a 5K race and drive-in movie night, the Town plans to offer the same fun, family-friendly atmosphere as previous years with a socially distanced twist. Though the traditional festival in Walter Y. Elisha Park will not take place this year due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the town is committed to keeping the spirit of the festival alive through a variety of smaller events.
Don't Warm Up, Cool Down!
Instead of warming up like we have done for the past couple of months, cool down with one of York County’s many places for some ice cream or shaved ice in the area.
- Visit one of our Ag+Art sites, Bush-N-Vine Farm, or The Peach Tree Orchard for a variety of handmade ice cream.
- Try something new like rolled ice cream from IC Juicy. As the only rolled ice cream and bubble tea café in Rock Hill, they offer a ton of varieties of ice cream and toppings you can choose from for a sweet treat.
- Not in the mood for a dairy-filled treat? Visit TC’s Shaved Ice!
- You don’t always have to visit the Bagel Boat for their bagels and coffee, visit them for their creamy soft serve ice cream. Why is their ice cream so different from others? They have a secret mixture of heavy cream and milk added to the ingredients. Shhhh -- you didn’t hear it from us! Don't forget to check-in on the Taste Trail while you're there!