The original site of Bethesda Presbyterian Church was located about one mile east of the present site and around this original meeting house were buried her dead. In 1979 only three gravestones could be found at the old site and they were moved and placed in the present cemetery by Clay Boyd as his Eagle Scout project. A memorial marker was also placed with the original stones. Known to have been buried there also was Henry Neely, husband of Elizabeth. He was the first ruling Elder of Bethesda.
There are several records of those buried in the present cemetery. One written by Mr. Ernest Jackson in his 1938 history of Bethesda Presbyterian Church, one compiled by Robert H. Walker in 1980 as his Eagle Scout project, and the present directory compiled by the Cemetery Committee with Roy Glover as Chairman and significant help from James Love and others. J. B. Fisher Surveyors performed a detailed survey of the cemetery for the directory.
The cemetery is managed and cared for by a Cemetery Committee as one of the Sessional Committees of the Church with a Ruling Elder as Chairman. The committee has established a Cemetery Trust Fund to provide the financial means for perpetual care of the cemetery along with funds collected during the year from plot sales, memorials and donations for upkeep. Use of the cemetery is determined by the Cemetery Committee.
The oldest identifiable grave marker in the cemetery is that of Peggy Black who died November 5, 1777. Also buried in the cemetery is Alexander Love who is credited with naming York County and James R. Martin, one of the framers of the Constitution of South Carolina. The number of war veterans known to be buried in Bethesda’s cemetery are: 34 Revolutionary War Veterans, 2 Mexican War Veterans, 81 Civil War Veterans, 23 World War I Veterans, 28 World War II Veterans, 1 Korean War Veteran, and 2 Viet Nam War Veterans.
Maps are located in the Fellowship Hall for use in locating grave markers and memorials and for use in planning and grave site assignment. Cemetery Directories are available for a nominal fee in the Church Office. For further information concerning Bethesda’s Cemetery, contact the Church Office for the Chairman of the Cemetery Committee.