Hospitality & Civic Advancement Internship
Visit York County, the Destination Marketing Organization for York County, South Carolina, launched the Hospitality & Civic Advancement Internship program in 2021 to prepare students for leadership roles within the hospitality sector. In an effort to advance inclusion efforts, the program connects students, many from historically-black colleges and universities (HBCUs), with hospitality career opportunities in York County. The program consists of a ten-week paid program in the concentrations of:
- Sport and Event Management
- Parks, Recreation, and Agritourism
- Hospitality and Event Management
In addition to skills learned on the job, students will participate in a weekly leadership development curriculum that immerses young professionals in local culture, fosters interaction with industry leaders, and enhances preparedness for the workplace. Session topics include:
- Career & Leadership Development
- Mural Tours & Arts Appreciation
- Equity & Inclusion Best Practices
- Meet & Greet Industry Leaders
- Civil Rights History
- And more!
- Must be at least 18 years of age and enrolled in junior or senior year at an accredited university studying hospitality, sports management, or a related field
- 1+ years of experience working in sports, hospitality, or event management is preferred
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional organizational and multitasking skills
- Ability to lift 30 pounds
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
In partnership with Visit York County's Preferred Hotel Program and Winthrop University, accommodations will be provided to all students participating in the program for the duration of the summer.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and faculty recommendation to email@example.com no later than February 15, 2022.
Why York County?
As Charlotte’s Southern neighbor and the northernmost county in the Olde English District in South Carolina. greater Rock Hill- Fort Mill is an adventurous, affordable, and authentically southern destination for visitors, job seekers, businesses, and residents alike. The community offers big-city amenities in a warm, friendly environment known for its hospitality and outdoor amenities.
- Strategic location within 20 miles of Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
- Less than two hours to the mountains of Asheville and Carolina beaches
- A sports tourism destination and home of the Carolina Panther's new state-of-the-art headquarters, practice facility, and entertainment venue
- World-class parks and outdoor amenities including the 2,100-acre Anne Springs Close Greenway
- 470 miles of trails and blueways
- Highly concentrated area for hospitality employers and a growing destination for young professionals